Wednesday, February 07, 2018

"Be on Time Chronicles" 2/7/18

I talk quite a bit about when Metro gets it wrong.

But it's important to mention when they get it right, too.

They got it right on Sunday, February 4th.

Megabus broke down that afternoon. Luckily it happened at my boarding location, Katy Mills Mall. The coolant was busted, or something like that. We had to wait over an hour for the mechanic, and then he had to fix it, but luckily he was able to do that, so we didn't have to wait for a replacement bus. We departed nearly two hours late, and I figured with having to delay my Metro ride, I would likely be home three or four hours later than usual. I typically get picked up from the Megabus station between 5 - 5:30, and arrive home thirty minutes to an hour after that.

So we left Katy shortly before 4 pm, and arrived at the station before 6:30. When I called Metro to delay my open return, the dispatcher said, "If you can, call me when you're on the outskirts of town, and I'll start a vehicle heading your way."

So I called when the bus was about ten - fifteen minutes from the station. I had only been inside for less than five minutes when the van pulled up. And the driver said she was taking me right home! Amazing! I was home by 7, not that much later than on a typical Sunday night.

Sometimes it can take as long as an hour for the van to arrive on a reactivated open return. And then the driver could have been in the middle of a busy pick off / drop off schedule. But the odds were in my favor on Super Bowl Sunday. I got home in time to halfway unpack, have dinner, watch JT strut his stuff on the halftime show, and bawl my way through "This is Us."

It could have been a long and frustrating evening. But it wasn't.
Thank you, Metro Access.

librarianintx

No comments: