Thursday, May 10, 2007

TWO book reviews

My appetite for reading has picked up again, and I am very happy about that. It took me quite awhile to get through the first book, but the second one I read in less than a week! Quite an accomplishment for me these days.

Book #1
In My Brother's Image: Twin Brothers Separated By Faith After the Holocaust
by Eugene L. Pogany

This was a long book, over 350 pages, and the first 75 or so were a bit arduous for me. I had some trouble getting into the story. But after that I really got immersed and had trouble putting it down. I have read a lot of Holocaust literature, from survivors in different countries and even of various faiths. This book was a different spin from others I've read because the main characters did not convert to Catholicism to escape persecution. They converted long before the war began, but were persecuted anyway because they had been born Jews. This book also helped me understand the bitterness that many people have toward the Catholic Church and the role it played during World War II. Although many priests did baptize Jews with the intent of saving them from persecution, some refused to, and the Catholic Church as a whole allowed itself to be railroaded by the Nazi Regime.

I think this book also resonated with me because my maternal grandparents converted to Christianity when I was very young. My grandfather converted when he was dying from cancer soon after I was born, and my grandmother remained a devout Christian until her death five years ago. Her religion was a source of great joy for her and much pain and consternation for the rest of the family. For many reasons I have harbored a disdain for Christianity my whole life, but I am coming to terms with religion now. Clay has been one source for my healing, as I see the love, the good works, and the sense of peace that spirit affords him. Close friends have been another source, as I have had some devout people in my life that are the kindest, generous, and most selfless that I have come to know. And books like this one has been a part of my journey as well. In the case of the author's grandmother, she was born a Jew, but always felt the spirit of Christ in her. When she converted, that is when she felt whole. And she remained a Catholic until the day she died. I have a close friend who converted the opposite way. She was born Christian, but wanted to be Jewish from an early age. She converted when she was in her early twenties. Her family had a hard time at first, but they are very accepting now. My friend is now around thirty years old, married to a Jewish man, raising three Jewish children, and she is way more Jewish than I have ever been. :-)

I heard a quote once that religion is responsible for most of the war in the world, and I do not doubt that at all. I think that is so sad. Having religion in your life can bring such joy and peace. I know it sounds pollyanna, but I wish we could just be happy for the way that anyone finds their path, either with or without religion, and not constantly battle over which religion is the right one. And certainly not persecute each other for being a different religion, or for not being religious at all.

Stay tuned for book #2.

librarianintx

2 comments:

kato said...

interesting comments.. i think that once you are jewish, it stays with you no matter what.. my family had a slightly similar issue.. especially with WW2. Also, i would agree with all the comments except for the one concerning that religion is the cause of most wars.. it seems that both religion and land are the roots.. and maybe one is the cause, the other the effect.. but it seems to me that the fight over land is the root of it.. hidden under one layer of religion.

-K

librarian in TX said...

Thanks so much for your comments, kato.
librarianintx