Saturday, September 14, 2024

Health Tip #1: Mindful Eating

Today is the first post in a new series for this blog: Health Tips. 

I do research in my job pertaining to disabilities and conditions. 

I read articles, watch webinars, and learn about health and safety for people with disabilities and older adults. 

If what I write about helps at least one person, then I will feel good. 

Much of what I have learned about I am endeavoring to do in my own life. 

Creating healthy habits takes time, patience, and dedication. 

Today the topic is mindful eating. 

Here is an article on mindful eating:  https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/mindful-eating-guide#rationale

At it's core, mindful eating is about eating slowly and without distraction. 

It can help you enjoy your food, aid in your digestion, and limit overeating. 

I was born into a family of fast eaters. My family does not eat their food - they inhale it. I am always the last one at the table. In fact, sometimes family members are starting on their dessert while I'm still eating my main meal. This used to bother me when I was younger. I don't get upset now. I actually eat faster than I used to. 

When I eat alone, I tend to watch a show, or scroll through the Internet or social media. But I have noticed that when I do this, I don't enjoy my food as much. I'm not paying attention to what I'm eating. Sometimes I even look at recipes while I am eating! Afterward, I say to myself, "Why did I do that?"

So lately I am practicing mindful eating. And I am enjoying it. Mindful eating doesn't have to take a long time. It simply involves focusing on the taste of the food and enjoying the experience. I am cooking more than I used to, so I want to fully experience the smell, the taste, the look of the food that I prepared. I am also working on healthier, more balanced meals that look nice. For example, a homemade quesadilla with eggs, spinach or avocado, tomatoes, and cheese, and a side of blueberries is a healthy, filling, and tasty breakfast that looks attractive too. And it doesn't take a long time to prepare.  

librarianintx



No comments: